Friday, February 24, 2006

A great letter of complaint

When all that bad stuff was happening with my mobile last week, I had a parallel problem with flowers being delivered on Valentines Day.

Yesterday, I took the time to write a letter of complaint of M&S. But frankly, it was bad, very bad. I asked a colleague if she would not mind having ago and she gladly typed away. This is her letter and I think it is fab.

Dear Miss X,

Thank you for your letter dated 16 February 2006 and the enclosed gift vouchers of £10.

I feel, however, that the £10 compensation is a paltry amount considering the inconvenience, delay and disappointment that I have had to endure. I feel it is necessary to write to explain the situation fully.

The first bunch of flowers was due to be delivered on Valentines Day. Delivery of these flowers was not even attempted. This was very upsetting for me and especially for my boyfriend. A replacement bunch of flowers was due to be delivered on 16 February 2006 after my boyfriend called up and complained of the non delivery.

Once again, these were not delivered. The very poor excuse this time was “because the post code was not in your system”. The post code is XX which is on the major road of X W Street in the City of London. When my boyfriend complained again, you promised to refund his credit card and send me a letter of apology with compensation. I received a brief apology letter, with the voucher. As I said above, £10 is not a satisfactory compensation for the distress and inconvenience that has been caused to me and my boyfriend. As at today the refund has still not been credited to his credit card.

On 17th February, the flowers were eventually delivered to the apparently ‘unknown’ post code. If you were able to deliver them on the 17th, then why was delivery not possible on the 14th? Marks & Spencer should not advertise a service they obviously cannot provide. My disappointment did not end there. I opened the cardboard box with dismay, for there was a complimentary box of chocolates thrown on top, which crushed the flowers that I had been waiting 3 days for. I have photographic evidence of this, should you require.

We should not have to chase delivery of a bunch of flowers that were supposed to be a Valentines surprise. I should certainly not have to chase for adequate compensation and a refund that was promised. I am at a loss to describe the inadequate customer service that I feel Marks & Spencer have provided on this occasion.

Like any dissatisfied customer, I have complained loudly to my colleagues and friends about your appalling service. One of the comments I received was that Marks & Spencer have made deliveries to this office before, so the post code obviously is in your system.

Marks & Spencer is supposed to be a quality store, providing customer service and products that are second to none. Quite frankly, receiving crushed flowers 3 days after the due delivery date, with a meagre £10 voucher, with no real explanation of why I did not recieve them on time, does not constitute good customer service. Do you treat all your customers with such contempt?

I would like confirmation in writing that the refund will go to my boyfriends credit card, and would appreciate some adequate recompense for the trouble I have encountered, and perhaps this will restore my faith in Marks & Spencer.

Yours sincerely

5 Comments:

Blogger lizze said...

Well, I think it is worth to have a ago cos M&S didn't do what they promised.

If this would have been a cheapo store chain then maybe it would have ok, but M&S is pushing the high quality angle so they better deliver what they promise.

Thx for yr comment & you have an interesting blog :)

2/24/2006 06:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to be honest i think your greedy.
m&s ARE a quality shop, and customers think they can get whatever they like because of this.
just get over it and but your flowers elsewere!!!

11/02/2007 07:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe your boyfriend forgot valentine's and made up the whole story just cover his arse? Did you ever think of that?

Let it go. The only things in life that are life and death are life and death. Flowers are just flowers.

11/02/2007 09:46:00 pm  
Blogger lizze said...

You do realize that this is an very old blog post from 2006....
I had completely forgotten about this but hey thx for reminding me.

And it sounds like you are working for M&S. Well, we did end up use the M&S flower service again and guess what - they got it wrong AGAIN!

Boyfriend - now husband - did not forget about it.

And I recall receiving a letter from M&S apologizing profusely and sending me some more vouchers actually. So M&S agreed with me.

There is nothing wrong for a customer to complain if one does NOT receive the service one paid for. I don't give away my money to companies with a blanc cheque if they mess up ... maybe you do but I don't.

11/02/2007 10:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey 2006 or not, I agree with the cheapskate/moneygrabber comment.
All that crap for £10+bit more...honestly, move on and order your flowers elsewhere. Doh then you're stupid enough to do it again & then whinge for more £.
Typical pom!

6/19/2008 02:43:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home