Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Slightly bored

I have just finished my lunch and I am slightly bored.

So I decide to read some more news and I started at BBC News, “Climate Change” at the bottom right hand corner caught my attention.

Clicked on it, and got to BBC Nature & Science website – they want to a experiment with some calc more powerful then a supercomputer by using distributed computing.

I am impressed by the BBC site – they are covering a lot of ground in all kind of subject. Part of this is paid with the licence fee and I feel get more value out the BBC site compared to the number of hours watching the BBC channels.


Anyway, I have a question for you;

Which phrase is right?

AN SD memory card

Or

A SD memory card


UPDATE:

"The form an for the indefinite article is used before a spoken vowel sound, regardless of how the written word is spelt."

Source: Ask Oxford and English Rules

S is pronounced "ess" and it should therefore be AN SD Card

2 Comments:

Blogger lizze said...

I have had two other people saying AN SD card.

I agree with you - "an" should only be used before a vowel

2/14/2006 03:24:00 pm  
Blogger Mohamed said...

When I thought about it;the same updateyou made came to my mind.

When you pronounce SD;you don't pronounce it as a word(sed) but as letters(es de)so it's considered as a vowel

2/16/2006 04:01:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home