Saturday, January 07, 2006

The US has changed

Last time I went to the USA was summer of 1999. Now is it time again. Me and boyfriend are going to San Francisco end of Feb. We have just book the tickets and I received an automated email confirmation. In the email it says the following:
“As per US Immigration legislation and effective
immediately, during the check-in process, all
passengers travelling to the USA must provide a
full destination address for their first
night’s stay in the USA:
1.         Hotel, or residence Number and Street
2.         City
3.         State
4.         Zip Code (Postal Code)
 
Failure to provide this will result in passengers
being refused entry to the USA and therefore not
being accepted for travel at check-in.”
Bloody hell – giving this information at the check-in desk?

I don’t mind giving this information to the US authorities but I do mind giving this info to a private company.

Do I have a choice?

Yes – don’t go if you are not prepared to give this info to United. But we have decided to go (and I have already paid for my non-refundable ticket) so I will give the info to the airliner.

Last year, boyfriend went to the USA and he told me about the fingerprint scan and the eye scan. The USA has changed since the last time I went there.

I know why and I live in a city with a terrorist threat but that doesn’t mean that I am immune to these kinds of changes.

Do the US authorities have any kind of follow up? The cynical part of me is that anyone can book a room at Hilton for a night and then do a disappearing act. Whereas we are the normal tourists, I feel that we are paying a price with our integrity.

In one sad way, the terrorist is succeeding in their fight – the Western world is changing its way of living (not to the better). The terrorist influence is more just a bomb that goes for a moment – it’s the entire aftermath that has an influence for years to come.

Just to clear, I am not saying that all the changes are unnecessary but I do think that we are mostly unaware HOW our society changes after an attack.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bentes said...

I've been to the U.S. last February and went through all that process of picture and finger print scan.
I also believe that when they say check-in process is not the process when you check-in into the flight, but when you check-in into the U.S. I had to give that information, not to the airliner, but to the authorities in the airport when we arrived.

1/08/2006 03:10:00 pm  
Blogger Johannes said...

Whatever you do.. don't laugh at them. I accidentally did that once when I was entering the country in Dallas/FW. I just found it amusing that they were asking the same questions over and over again. The problem was that the security people didn't take my smirks too well, so they turned my bags inside out and happily let me repack them while they watched. If that's not customer service I don't know what is ;-)

1/08/2006 09:08:00 pm  
Blogger Dustin said...

pain in the ass ?

yes

working so far?

apparently

counting our chickens?

always

:P

1/09/2006 08:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home