Sunday, February 05, 2006

The penny dropped

After reading that the US State Department said it was wrong to publish the 12 cartoons – which took me completely by surprise – the penny dropped.

This whole wave of protests shows the differences between the secular countries and the non-secular countries.

The USA is on the whole a very religious country whereas Europe is not.

To me it certainly look like One-way street, the secular countries should adjust their ways of not to print anything the might possible offend any religion. This is not right, again no religion is above the Freedom of speech.

The uproar in the Arab world is that the Western world does not understand their values. Then like me ask the following, does the Arab world understand the values of the Western world? Is this a One-way street or Two-way street?

The short but armed occupation of the EU office in Gaza just dumb folds me of how incredible stupid that move was. The EU is a closer ally to the Palatinates then the rest of the Western world. Talking about biting the hand that help them and their rights.

There is also a huge element of hypocrites from the rioters. The Arab press have no problem printing caricatures of anti-Semitic pictures or of the Western World but when it is the reversed then all hell breaks loose.

As the French Foreign Minister puts it, these rioters are just proving that the cartoons are right.

There is this problem with the latest wave of terrorist claiming that they are Muslims. This is what the caricatures are point at.

I do not think that the terrorists represent the faith of Islam or representative all of the followers. But you do have to understand that the phrase “They are not Muslims” are ringing very thin these days.

3 Comments:

Blogger Newsha said...

WOW!

well I agree with you...it should be two-way street.
But I think now it's not even one-way street!!!
One question?!...IS really western world understanding
the Arab world?!...then why don't they know that Arabs
would be offended if they make the cartoons og their
prophete?!...well I think none of them undersatnds the
other one really!...

And again I don't think agreeing with these cartoons
is equal to believing in freedome of speech!...Freedome
of speech is something and making fun of somebody else's
believes is something else...

I don't believe in the prophete myself...But I don't agree
with the thing they've done as well...

good subject lizze;)
I think I needed to talk about it somewhere:)

2/05/2006 08:45:00 pm  
Blogger lizze said...

Thanks for commenting, Sun and giving me your point of views. I know you a little bit from reading your blog. We would never ever have ‘found’ each other without Blogger. I admire that you can both communicate in Arabic and English (wish I could do the same!). I am glad we can have this talk.

Frankly, I do think the Western World does not know enough about the Arab world but I do think it is slowly getting better and better.

I honestly do not think the paper realised that these cartoons would be the foundation of such wave of protests. The way I see it, either you have Freedom of speech or you don’t. When the papers go over the edge, there is an independent court system that will make a judgement if this is the case. This is what I think the Danish Muslim should have done, gone to the Courts and tried the case.

The culture of cartoons/caricatures goes back several hundred years. It has been a way for the people/papers to point out weakness, abuse and threats to their society in a way that everybody of the people understands. This paper was printing for the Danish population and not to the wider audience of the Muslim world.

2/06/2006 08:45:00 pm  
Blogger Newsha said...

Lizze, I'm glad too:)

by the way...I'm persian and I write in persian in my blog... that's my mother's langueage:)

and about the cartoons! yes I do agree this is not the write way they've chosen to let the world hear their voice... But this is just the culture and this is what I was saying...western world should know how arab people would react...I can tell if you ask them they would say we want the heaven and we want our prophete be proud of us...so They would do anything for him...they would bleed for him...You should live with them and then you will know them better...they are good people...but I don't know what is it I hate more...maybe because they are all over my country and even ruling my country!!! I will stop here...haha

goodluck

2/07/2006 08:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home