Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Word of the Day for Monday December 12, 2005

I like this word:

tmesis \TMEE-sis\, noun:
In grammar and rhetoric, the separation of the parts of a compound word, now generally done for humorous effect;
for example, "what place soever" instead of "whatsoever place," or "abso-bloody-lutely."

If on the first, how heinous e'er it be,
To win thy after-love I pardon thee.
--Shakespeare, Richard II

His income-tax return, he remarked, was the "most rigged-up
marole" he'd ever seen.
--Frederic Packard

In two words, im possible.
--Samuel Goldwyn

To subscribe: Dictionary.com

Tthe emails seems to be sent out alphabetical order. A colleague whose name starts with B gets it early in the morning. Me, I got the above email 13/12/2005 02:22
The send time of the email was 08:00

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael Markowitz said...

That is a truly great word! Thank you.

Some time ago I heard another wonderful word, but I failed to write it down and now I've lost it: It was for a word that is a legacy of another era, but persists despite being meaningless today.

The best examples are that we say we "dial" a phone or that someone releases an "album" and kids might have no idea why, but they just accept it. There is a word for it, and I... can't.. remember... it....

12/28/2005 03:37:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home