Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What do you call this?






No idea? – I thought so. This is out ‘new & improved’ Christmas lights.

This year the council have, what I suspect, taken Political Correctness too far. Some bureaucrat somewhere has taken a decision, which in itself is rather amazing, that we cannot offend the minorities by having Christian inspired decorations at Christmas time. Despite the fact that Christmas is official recognised with TWO bank holidays (wow). I should have added this in my letter to the council but I forgot.

Actually, thinking back on last year’s Christmas lights … it was Santa, Xmas tree, a star, a candle – not very offensive at all.

Plus the nicer lights were on our side …

I think, in fact, that this bureaucrat is doing the minorities a major disservice. I don’t think there have been any complaints about the Christmas lights and now the majority is up and arms about this sell of out of the new Christmas lights.

I am not religious but this does annoy me immensely. For me, Christmas means spending good time with my family. Nothing religious on my part and for those who is religious, fine, they are celebrating the birth of Christ.

I feel it is important to let organisation know when you are displeased. Otherwise, they will get away with everything if the people just keep quiet. If you are not happy about something, write a letter and get it logged.

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to the council:

Tower Hamlet
Town Hall
Mulberry Place

5 Clove Crescent

London

E14 2BG

Date: 23 November 2005

Dear Sirs,

Christmas lights

I feel compelled to write to you regarding the horrible “Christmas lights” that have been put up this year on X Road and Y Road. These so called Christmas lights look cheap and have absolutely nothing to do with Christmas Spirit, I assume that you are aware that Christmas is being celebrated on the 25th December. Previous years Christmas lights have been superb and I have always appreciated that fact the Borough has had really nice lights compared to other places in London.


This change, I suspect, is due to political correctness gone too far.

Kindly answer the following questions.

1. How many complaints have you received last year, or ever, for Christian style (old Christmas lights) lights?

2. What is the real reason that this change of Christmas lights?

3. Who took this decision? Kindly supply me with this/these people(s) contact details.

I look forward to receive your answer promptly

Yours sincerely

Lizze


I have received a reply and that will be in the next post.

4 Comments:

Blogger Isobel said...

They look like laser beams falling from the sky in neon spirals..LOL!

12/18/2005 02:09:00 am  
Blogger lizze said...

LOL that is funny.

But this is the patheric Xmas light where I live. They are even more extra pathetic since I have seen the Xmas lights at Oxfod St.

Merry Christmas Isobel!

12/18/2005 01:26:00 pm  
Blogger Mohamed said...

Tower Hamlet
Town Hall
Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
London
E14 2BG
------------------
That's clear that you don't want to tell any personal information about yourself :)

I hope that you didn't forget replying me...
If you don't want to reply..Please accept my apologize...

and I enjoyed talking with you...
and also respected your polit dialouge...

12/25/2005 05:10:00 pm  
Blogger lizze said...

Mohamed :) it is not my address ... it is the councils 'head'office address.

It is me that should apologies to you for not getting back to you. My mind has not been very focused and the answers to your replys deserve the right attention. And not replying is defiantly the wrong thing to do too!

I like the discussions with you very much! I have learned a lot from you. I respect you and your way of discussing this, after all, sensitive matter.

I work within the Finance field

12/27/2005 02:10:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home